Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What's in Your Tasting Room

The purpose of my blog to provide general information to help tasting rooms improve their customer service.   I am active in a tasting room so I hear it all from the customers on what they like, but loud and clear what and who they don't like.   I want to turn that around and make the tasting room experience memorable for everyone through an evaluation of your tasting room and customer service practices.  I thought it be more appropriate to create a blog where those of you that are in the wine business can ask questions of me, a seasoned and sometimes spicy tasting room professional.    


So where do you start?  If you're new to the wine business, hopefully, you have your paperwork submitted and approved at the local, state and Federal levels.  Having just finished the paperwork myself for our winery in Virginia, I am very familiar with the approval process should you need consulting assistance to get your winery going.  Beyond the paperwork it's choosing the recording keeping system, types of wine glasses, color and layout of tasting room, design of tasting menu, hiring of staff and signature event planning. 


If you're seasoned in the tasting room let's say for the last 6 years, and you're getting the same results, chances are it's your customer service.  You need to rev up your style and get customers excited about the new tasting room.  Small changes can make a big impact.  I have some great ideas that make customers into repeat customers.


If you're not using social media to promote your tasting room, you are missing lots of opportunities to connect.  I can help with that too.   


The life of wine begins with terrior.  The life of the tasting rooms begins with excellent customer service.   Shake that up with some good wine and fun events, and customers will make that winery their frequent destination.